Thursday, August 27, 2009

Too Much to See! (Originally Posted 4/12/08)



So my initial plan for Friday and/or Saturday was to take the train to Stratford upon Avon to see Shakespeare's birthplace.

And I want to go, I really do but there's so much left to see here in London that I haven't had the chance to experience yet.
Today, I took the tube to Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum. The line just to buy a ticket was over an hour long then another 45 minutes or so to get in! I asked about purchasing a fast-track ticket (like I did for the London Eye) and one of the employees explained that I could purchase a ticket that would give me a general time to get there but wouldn't guarantee that I wouldn't have to stand in line.

I decided I had better things to do with my time.
So I hobbled back downstairs and took the tube to Tottenham Station. This is the station closest to Soho. I've been wanting to see Soho for a while, especially Soho Square. If you don't know about Kirsty MacColl's music, you should get to know it. She was a great song-writer with a wonderfully mellow voice and an acerbic wit. The first song of hers that caught my ear was hers but she didn't sing it. Tracey Ullman had a hit with "They Don't Know" back in the 80's. Kirsty wrote that song and I quickly became a fan of her stuff. Anyway, I don't want to get off track here. The reason I had to find Soho Square is because Kirsty wrote a song called, "Soho Square" and I've always loved that song. I had read somewhere that they dedicated a bench to her in Soho so I went to find it.

After that, I made my back up towards Tottenham and found the Dominion Theatre. This is the theatre that is showing "We Will Rock You". A musical with the music from Queen. I decided to buy a ticket and ended up watching the matinee. It was great (see my review if interested). Afterwards, caught the tube to Piccadilly Circus and wandered around the shops and such there. Walked down to Trafalgar Square then finally caught another tube to make my way back to my motel. Bought some dinner and finally settled in around 8pm or so. I was out all day and still didn't see everything I wanted to see.

No comments: