Thursday, August 27, 2009

England, Over and Out (Originally Posted 4/22/08)

Well...I've been home for a week now and I took a small break from the computer while I got back into the swing of things.

My trip was great! So many things to see and do and so many things left undone. All in all, it was wonderful fun. The history in England is boundless and multi-faceted. My personal preference was for the English countryside. Beautiful, green, serene, and picturesque. There are places in the countryside that still need to be experienced and I wouldn't mind going back to see more of the Cotswalds and central England.

London has so much history and it has incorporated itself neatly in the city of 2008. Everywhere you walk you see buildings and places that have been around for hundreds, sometimes thousands, of years. Londoners have a reputation of being a bit snobby or self-absorbed but the people I spoke with were nothing but nice. Friendly and helpful, ready to point a stranger in the right direction. I think the reason they come across as aloof (much like New Yorkers) is because they spend half their lives traveling from point A to point B and they are very intent upon getting there.

Having said all of this, I felt no special pull towards England as I did towards Italy. London was a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there and I'm very glad to be back home with my honey and my kids. Thanks to everyone who made it a point of checking in to read my blogs or check out my pictures and comment or ask questions. You guys were a real lifeline when I needed to feel connected to something familiar. I can't wait to travel with you all again very soon!

No comments: